Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Three

Thanks to some cleverness by coach squirrel, I am now a cat 3 road racer, despite only having done 1 road race (in cat 5). I am also an A collegiate racer. Although I remain a cat 5 in track... I guess that is the next thing I should work on. Anyway, look for a new member of the Jeff Parker lead out train coming to a race near you. Maybe I can take the KOP's spot since he has sworn off all road racing from here on.

Speaking of the KOP, he was told by a certain someone that he could get a certain placing in the pro field at a certain race because his power numbers were at a certain level. Well, looking strictly at my power numbers vs. the KOP's power numbers (watts per kg in a LT test), we are pretty closely matched at that level. So, if you look at just the numbers, I should be able to get the same placing at said race. However, I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. While I don't really doubt his chances at getting that finish, I know that I couldn't come near it. He is a good bit faster than me.

That just shows a weakness of a power meter. They aren't the end all be all. There is a lot more that needs to come together to produce a good race. Keep that in mind all you power meter'ers out there. Power is only one aspect of bike racing. Don't get too carried away with it.
(I really hope that made some sort of sense... I'm not sure that it came out right, but it was fine in my head.)

Anyway, I'm heading to GA on Friday to compete in my first TTT. It should be fun riding in the cold and the rain. Yeah.

Mountain biking first though.

No comments: