Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Roadie?

The race went OK this weekend, I got like 10th in the field sprint, which was totally weak, and I don't really have any excuse. It was a totally interesting/not interesting in the least race. But yeah, training and racing is going well... I'm not feeling great in the races, but I think I might be possibly coming around. Maybe.

And I've decided that I'm not a roadie. I just don't get the whole thing. They are just too long, and there isn't anything really decisive in most of the races. As an example of this, I was riding with a guy who is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than anyone else in the field, and certainly a whole lot stronger than me. If it came down to just raw power and speed, he would beat me every time by a mile. However, I finished on his wheel in one race this weekend, and beat him in the other race, entirely because there was nothing to separate us. If it had been a mountain bike race, he would have ridden away from everyone and beat me by 20 minutes.

The point of all of that is, it really doesn't matter THAT much how strong you are, it's all about getting lucky. I enjoy riding my road bike most of the time, but I always enjoy riding my mountain bike. As far as racing goes, mountain biking is a whole lot more fun. Mostly because you don't have to worry about crossing wheels with people every second of every race. And finally, it's because in mountain biking, you go as fast as you (personally) can for the whole time. In collegiate road racing at least, you go as hard as you can for 10 seconds, then sit up for 10 seconds, then repeat over and over until the race is over. Awesome.

OK, I'm going mountain biking.

No comments: