Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Events and Assault

Well, believe it or not, my life has been continuing on since my first post. I really didn't have much to write about up until the Assault on the Carolinas, which was interesting to me, and yet very well written about by Tristan, Wes, and Pinnett (look on the side there for their links). I don't have much else to say about the "race" itself, since it pretty much boiled down to climbing and rain. We started out on the flats, hit a stupid steep climb that broke up the main field, got on some rollers, went way too fast, then started going downhill. This is when it got interesting... We pretty much rode straight into the belly of a massive thunderstorm, replete with hail, massive raindrops, an inch of standing water, lightning, and of course, thunder.
There is nothing quite like trying to descend a steep, twisty section of road not being able to see a thing without brakes surrounded by 40 other guys hell-bent on getting down the mountain first so that they can, uhh, get there first. No, there really is no reason that anyone would need to get down the mountain first, but there also isn't a whole lot of reason for 40 spandex clad riders to be riding in such weather to begin with.
Anyway, it rained, it kept on raining, it rained some more, I saw a guy building an ark in preparation for what was surely the end of the world, and then it kept raining. In fact, it only let up in the rain department once we hit the bottom of the main climb, which is its own beast to deal with. Suffice it to say, my legs hurt a whole lot, and I couldn't keep up with people who were faster than me (funny how that works out), and I kept riding anyway. After the climb, our team had 4 guys working together back into Brevard where we set up Wes D for the finish. I managed to snake a 6th place finish from Pinnett. Not bad for a race that wasn't really a race.
Sorry I don't have pictures from that... I'm kinda poor in the camera/money department.

Hey, I'm planning to write about my adventures since then tomorrow, so be sure to check back with me for the continuing saga!!!

No comments: